Saturday, May 19, 2018
Day 6: May 19th, Not All Days are Good
While traveling like I am can be very exciting and fulfilling as a person, there are times when you have to slow down. Sometimes these times aren't really a choice. Earlier today when we were still in Budapest I started to feel feverish and sick. I took many medicines to try and feel better but I knew when our group got back to Vienna the smart thing to do would be to rest so I can continue to do more things later on. So when we got back to Vienna I returned to my host home to relax for the family. However I still had some fun a long the way. Part of the subway system that I take to get home is closed for a few days to install new connections so I had to take many more transfers to get home. On one of these stops I ran into two missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. There were confused with the line closing so I helped them find their way and had a very pleasant conversation with them. It was very interesting for me due to the fact that some of my friends will be doing the same thing in the fall at different cities so it was interesting to see what they do in person. I also stopped at a supermarket on the way home to try and get some contact solution and toothpaste. Unfortunately they didn't have contact solution so I bought some things to make a simple dinner and attempted to check out with my very limited German. So while today wasn't full of awe inspiring sights or exciting museums it was still and interesting day in its own right. And while I wasn't able to visit a park due to my desire to rest I did go to a park the first day I arrived and have been talking about leisure with different people I have encountered. Overall I think Austrians value their leisure time and try to enjoy it outside as much as they can. Even at night they go to bed early, I can tell this as I stay up to write these blogs and I can see the lights of other houses go out before nine. This is probably due to their cultures ideas about work and how too much of it can be harmful. I also know that one of the questions we were supposed to answer is about our favorite thing but I really can't pick a favorite I've enjoyed all of our experiences uniquely and can't wait to experience more. Apologizes for the short blog, after all you can only write about nothing for so long. Until next time!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I think Americans could learn a thing or two from Austrians and other Europeans about the value of leisure and the futility of working yourself to death!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you chose wisely and hope the rest has done you some good. NO huge plans today, so you didn't miss anything (sort of).
ReplyDeleteI'm also happy that you were able to help the missionaries from my church. Yes, I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and I was once a missionary too. Spencer will leave for his mission next summer. I guess you have some friends leaving soon for their missions. WRITE THEM....they will LOVE letters from home.
You have made some great comments here....we could all do better to SLOW DOWN a bit more.
Can't wait to see you tomorrow!