Saturday, May 26, 2018

Day 13: May 26th, Salzburg Take Two!

While I am always a person who is welcome to a new adventure in a new city or country I decided against it for my second free weekend and choose to return to Salzburg for the weekend. There were many things that called me to return to the city, perhaps it was the lack of Museum time or the people. It was most likely my obsession with the Sound of Music though if we were being honest. While the tour we went on our first day was very helpful in finding all the landmarks from the film I didn't get to spend near enough time there, and we didn't get to see everything I had wanted to. I was very lucky in the fact my friend Kirsten also wanted to stay so we came together to plan a day of sightseeing for Salzburg. The plan was to try and fit the major Sound of Music spots and hit other sights along the way.

As a whole I can say today was pretty perfect. For the first time since we had gotten into the Alps we didn't have a single drop of rain and it was really warm outside (the first day I shed my hoodie the whole trip). Since we got up early and hurried to all the crowded spots early we were able to get good pictures and enjoy ourselves throughly at each location. We even got to see some great museums like the museums for Mozart at his second residence in Salzburg. The museum was beautifully put together and held a lot of interesting information about Mozart and is family, including his apparently disappointing son. We even got to see some of the same instruments he played in that house. It was really surreal to think about when I think back on it. After that we continued across the view to look for Sound of Music locations and some other interesting sights. One of these was the Museum of Modern Art which while wasn't my favorite I thought was really interesting to visit. Later we found out out that the lookout for the museum was a location for the Sound of Music we didn't even realize was there. After that we got lunch in the farmer's market that was going on, which turned out to be the most American meal I have had so far (a donut pretzel and some fries, how nutritious!). We then explored the churches near the square where we leaned that much like America May is a busy wedding season, this of course was after we walked in on one marriage in progress and several wedding photoshoots. After that we explored St. Peter's cemetery which was surprisingly beautiful. Usually I get freaked out by cemeteries or places that hold dead people but I felt strangely at peace there. Now the catacombs that were in the caves attached to the cemetery did freak me out only because I thought there would be skulls (they were not it was apparently a cave for Christians to hide and worship in). After that we finished up our Sound of Music locations and wandered the city spiking up things here and there and enjoying our time. We retired early to the hotel due to our early morning and relaxed the rest of the evening. I throughly enjoyed returning to Salzburg and felt I experienced the city more throughly today. Tomorrow we return early to Vienna to get work done before we start our last busy week in Vienna. While it is bitter sweet I look forward to making every moment count. Until Next Time!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you stayed in Salzburg! And glad you were able to see some things you wanted to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pix! I am so glad you got more Sound of Music experience.

    ReplyDelete