Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Day 1: May 14th, Arrival at Austria


In all honesty, Vienna was unlike any city I had experienced before. Even from the air there was something about the capital of Austria that seemed different from other big cities. When I stepped into the city there was an unparalleled calm and peacefulness about the town. The whole country seemed to feel that way. Like it wasn't a city of two million people, but a small village where everything was connected. 

Before I entered the city of Vienna however, I had to get to the city. Despite my exhaustion from the many flights I had just completed I couldn't help but feel impressed with Vienna's airport. Everything felt clean and modern, and the airport was easy to navigate even if you did not speak any German which was very relaxing. The CAT (City Airport Train) was a lot like the airport, modern and efficient but still very calming and easy going. Despite my stress of not knowing what I was doing or where I was going I felt very safe on the train. My first impression of Vienna was being awestruck about the mix of old and new buildings and ideas to make a beautiful cooperative city. Exiting the modern train system you are ushered right into the revered State Opera house, it honestly makes you feel something that is almost unexplainable. 

In order to study abroad in an amazing place like this you need a place to study and be educated about the city and different topics. This place for our group is the Austro-American Institute of Education right across the street from the State Opera House. Looking our of it's windows gives you a great view of the opera house and the surrounding area. The building the matches these views is just as beautiful. A few floors of an old family house that boasts the old architecture of a town house with the modern design of a educational institute, that really sum up the feeling of the city of Vienna. 

None of this trip would be complete without the help and support of the host families that house students. My host mother (who we affectionally call Lilo) has so far been a wonderful host. She gives us very clear instructions about what needs to be done and ow to operate things in her house. However she is also very caring and supportive. Our first night she made of a welcoming dinner that was amazing and a great first impression of Austrian food. She also took us on a walk around the park near her house to help us with our jet lag. Lilo is also hosting three other girls from another university while we are here, they are just as sweet as her and are very welcoming and understanding of what we are going through.  is a very caring yet structured host mother and I cannot wait to get to know her more and share her house for the next few weeks. 

1 comment:

  1. Awestruck! And exiting Karlsplatz at the State Opera IS truly unexplainable! Great choice of words...I would HAVE to agree!

    ReplyDelete