When people travel abroad they usually think of the fantastic sights they will see and the people they will see. However there is a really important part of a culture that people often forget about, the food. Food is what binds us together, and is one of the most polarizing aspects of different cultures. That is why visiting and learning about the Naschmarket is very important in trying to understand Vienna. As I trudged through the rain to explore Naschmarket I couldn't help but draw similarities to the markets I had visited in France. All sorts of restraints and food stalls selling almost every kind o food under the sun. While the first part of the market was very quiet the later sections of the market where bustling with people and storekeepers yelling for us to try their goods. The market overall was very different from anything in the US. The stalls were all very close together and there seemed to be a strong connection between the market and the city. The market was kind of similar to the US in the way that despite the market's originality some cooperate and chain places still took part in the market. The food I ate there was called a Duren Kebap which was made of lamb meat and other various vegetables, and was very delicious and affordable. Overall I hope to go back to Naschmarket and try the other foods offered there.
In my first blog entry I talked about how Vienna connects the new and the old into a peaceful village like atmosphere. Exploring Vienna today only strengthened that view of mine. Even when we were in the bustling tourist center there were still history and culture attached to the buildings and people. We could be walking by a large shopping center that has a historic clock attached to it's side. These collins of old and new make Vienna such an exciting place for me to explore in the coming days of ur trip. I hope to now only throughly explore the town centre and all it's history but also investigate the outer edges of the city a little bit. The little part of the outer edge I got the explore was very interesting. Despite the few faults the city has I can't help but be excited by the charm of Vienna.
One of the interesting parts of Vienna is it's love for well a done public transportation system. This is best shown in the ease of the public train system. Containing five main lines that can connect you to anywhere in the city the train system is simple and easy to use. Maps for the trains are found all over the different stations and on the train's themselves. You can also find the different lines easily due to their color coordination and helpful lighted lines. The trains are also quick making it easy to get from one end of the city to the other. One of the most amazing parts of the train system is the use of the honor system with tickets. This makes rush hour and quick travel really convenient for all travelers. Overall Vienna's train system is without much fault and one of the best train systems I have dealt with in my travels, and is easy to use wether you are a resident of the city or a tourist hoping to explore the city.

YES...Viennese food and the connections food makes! Glad to hear you speak so highly of this city that I love!
ReplyDeleteIsn't the train system amazing?? And the food, yes. Two pretty wonderful things about this city.
ReplyDelete