Sunday, May 20, 2018

Day 7: May 20th, A Day of Leisure



During my travels abroad and to other places in the States the idea of a free day was quite unheard of. My family and I usually had a limited time where we were staying and wanted to do and see as much as we could(the only clause for this was of course sickness or a free day was planned). I thought that my trip to Europe would be under much of the same ideal where I would be running around Vienna trying to see as much as I can before I return back home. Unfortunately things don't always go as planned and ideas must change, and while I did originally planned to explore some more today I remind home one more day in order to try and rest up for our approaching trip to Salzburg. So in some respects this free day was like many other free days I have at college back in the States. I caught up on some laundry (which is interestingly different here), I started a good book, I listened to new music, and I caught up with my family. Most of these were enjoyed in my room of my host family's house which has a great peaceful scenic view. The only interesting part of my day was trying to figure out how to use a foreign washing machine and learning the proper technique to hanging clothes. While I was unable to meet new people today I did get to know my Host mom Lilo and her granddaughter Stella more, since they were often around the house with me. It was interesting how even though this was considered their relaxing day they still tried to say active by going to the zoo or going to the park (this could be due to her being about two though). They also seemed quite surprised that I was content to sit in bed to relax instead of finding a proper chair to sit in to read or do other things. It made me start to think that although Austrians may vault leisure time more than use, their leisure time is still quite productive when compared to us. They still do things they just don't do was many work things. Perhaps I will try to apply some of these techniques when I return home to the US. Sadly another short blog for today due to rest, but many exciting adventures coming up that I am looking forward to. Until then enjoy pictures from adventures past.

1 comment:

  1. Leisure....perhaps we should all be a little more like Austrians in this sense.
    And the view from your room? Please share!!

    ReplyDelete